Monday, October 18, 2010

Life inside the Sun, cont.

I've thought a little bit more about my blog on "Life inside the Sun."
While the inside of the Sun is far-from equilibrium, I'm not so certain that this is enough for the possibility of life.
As mentioned in the blog "The meaning of life...", I now believe that life involves certain symmetries of nonlinear differential equations that are at least as complicated as the group A5.
The cells in our bodies rely on electrochemical reactions to convert sugars into work. This means that there is an actual gradient in the chemical potential of species like protons (or other ions that can be transported through membranes.)
Where does this physical gradient (with respect to a space dimension like x) come from?
While there's certainly a gradient in the radial direction, how could a life form convert the gradient in "nuclear potential" into work? How could it store work for later use?
I mentioned that there are catalysts inside the Sun (such as carbon), but I'm not sure that catalysts and a non-equilibrium source of exergy are enough for life to form. I think that it needs more than that, and that something is symmetries that can replicate.

I think that the key to understanding life will be to understand how symmetries of differential equations can replicate. I'm not totally sure what it even means, but as I search through the literature I will continue to write about what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment